Fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and a healthy choice to go for if you don`t want to go completely vegetarian. Buying fish is tricky, as our oceans suffer from overfishing, whenever you can you should choose one from a regional source that you trust and know. So I did not feel that bad buying this gal coming from blue lake, a lake situated in the Bernese Oberland. Of course you can prepare this meal using the fish species you like, salt water or fresh water fish, it doesn`t really matter for the recipe per se. Just make sure you feel comfortable with your choice, because nobody should have a bad conscience whilst eating this savory dish.
Ingredients (for one serving in terms of the fish):
- 1 trout, gilled and already descaled
- 200g waxy potatoes, washed and quartered
- 3 carrots, washed, peeled and sliced
- 200g celery root, washed, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, washed, deseeded and cut into stripes
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1 organic lemon, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 150 to 200ml white wine, I used Riesling
- 2 tablespoons aceto balsamico
- salt and pepper to your taste
- dried dill
- dried thyme
- preheat the oven at 180° Celsius.
- wash and cut all the vegetables, put them in a baking dish.
- pour the aceto balsamico and the white wine over the vegetables. The vegetables should be almost covered completely with the liquid. Depending on the size of your baking dish you probably need more or less wine. If this is the case adjust the amount by adding/removing wine. Instead of adding wine you can use water.
- season with salt and pepper to your taste. You can also add other spices if you like to.
- stuff your trout with garlic cloves, red onion and lemon slices. Season the inside of the trout with salt, pepper, dried dill and dried thyme.
- Lay your trout on top of the vegetables. Put the baking dish into the oven and bake for 50 minutes, but make sure to check repeatedly on your fish after it`s 30 minutes on the middle rack of your oven. It`s very possible your dish will be done quicker depending on the size you cut your vegetables. It`s done when you can easily pierce the carrots and potatoes.
Read you soon,