Traditional German or Swiss meals are the best winter comfort food. You won`t even feel bad about stuffing yourself with this delicious stuff, as you can just hide your extra pounds with a XL sweater. You will even look stylish wearing that, as they are très à la mode.
Anyway let`s dive straight ahead into the recipe, which I got from a cooking book called "So viele Rezepte hat das Jahr", which literally means so many recipes has the year.
Ingredients (2 persons):
- 1kg smoked ham roast, (you will probably get some left overs)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, I used one with paprika flavor
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, you can buy this in an Asian food store
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 big cooking pot
- kitchen paper
- 1 roasting dish
- basting brush
- 5 small raclette potatoes or waxy potatoes, organic
- 1 skillet
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, organic
- 250g precooked red cabbage, organic
As it was the first time for me to prepare a roast I followed the instructions of the recipe rigorously.
- preheat the oven at 180° Celsius.
- put your ham roast into the cooking pot, add water until it`s completely covered. Add the bay leaves and heat until the water starts boiling.
- reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Pour off the water, take the ham roast out of the pot and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- lay the ham roast on the roasting dish and cover it loosely with tinfoil. Roast in the oven for 1 hour.
- take the roast out of the oven. If you like to; remove the rind only leaving a thin fat layer and score the layer diamond-shaped. Mix together the pressed garlic cloves, dijon mustard, hoisin sauce and honey in a bowl. Baste the top of the ham roast with half of the glaze.
- bake for another 15 minutes in the oven. Then baste on the rest of the remaining glaze and roast again for 15 minutes until you get a golden brown crust.
- take the ham roast out of the oven and cover it loosely with tinfoil. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- in the meantime; fill a cooking pot with water and bring to boil. Wash and peel the potatoes and cook them in the boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes. You should not be able to prick them easily with a fork, as they should not been done completely.
- drain the hot water and cool down the potatoes by using cold water. As soon as you can touch them without burning your hands, slice them.
- heat the canola oil in a skillet, add the potatoes and fry them until they get slightly golden brown.
- cover the bottom of a cooking pot with water and add the red cabbage. Cook on medium heat for maximum 5 minutes. You just need to heat the cabbage up as it`s already cooked.
- take off the tinfoil and cut the roast into thin slices. Serve with the fried potatoes and the red cabbage. If you like to you can deglaze the roast juice with water, white wine or chicken stock and serve it as a gravy accompanying your roast.
Read you soon,