search abirdsdailylife

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Russian Salad with Alaskan Salmon

Russian salad with smoked salmon


Guess it has been a while I`ve done a salad recipe as a post, although I eat salad all the time, I just don`t blog about it every single time. But when things come to Russian salad, I just had to make an exception. Mainly because this very salad has a nostalgic flair to me. I remember my granny making this salad almost every lunch when I was a little kid. I absolutely loved it, still do. 

Enough me talk, let`s get into Russian Salad. Honestly I don`t even know why it`s called like that, it`s just the name of the canned product and although we prepared it fresh, still named it like that, as we used the same ingredients, which mainly are potatoes, carrots and peas. Just to spice things up a little bit I added smoked salmon. You won`t believe it, but with the salmon and the creamy dressing - which kind of is the best part of the whole salad - this Russian salad turned out to be spectacular. The salmon just gave it a slightly salty and smoky taste and that`s why this is going to be my new version from now on. 
Although you guys might even come up with a better version,which I probably will like even more, so please share your Russian salads. Now let`s get into cooking...

Russian salad with smoked Alaskan salmon


What you need (for 2 to 3 servings, depending if main or side dish):

salad:
  • 350g potatoes
  • 2 carrots
  • 150g garden peas
  • salt 
  • black pepper, freshly ground
  • 2 eggs, hard boiled
  • 100g smoked Alaskan salmon
dressing:
  • 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 200g heavy cream
  • 30g chive, finely chopped
  • 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  • salt
  • black pepper, freshly ground
 
creamy dressing for Russian salad

Instructions:

salad:
  • rinse off and peel potatoes and carrots
  • cut carrots and potatoes into little pieces
  •  bring water to a boil, add carrots, potatoes and a few minutes later the peas
  • cook the veggies until they are soft, for about 5 minutes, just remember that the peas only need a few minutes (like 2 or 3)
  • strain off water, season with salt and freshly ground pepper
  • let cool down for 10 to 15 minutes and prepare the dressing and boil the eggs in the meantime 
  • tear the smoked salmon into bits, add to the salad
  • rinse off the hard boiled eggs with cold water, remove the shells
  • cut eggs into pieces, add to salad
  • drizzle over dressing, mix well, serve or let sit for an hour to get more intense flavours
dressing:
  • rinse off and finely chop the onion and chive
  • mix together all the ingredients for the dressing, I used a jar to mix the dressing, which I shook to produce a very homogeneous dressing
  • refrigerate for 10 minutes, if you like you`re dressing on the cooler side
Preparation time: 30 minutes, cooling time included
Cooking time: approximately 5 minutes

Russian salad with Alaskan salmon

What do you think? Are you going to give it a try? Or did you already make your own Russian salad? Please share your thoughts, as I like to read about them.
I for sure liked the salmon in this salad, which I had never tried before. This is the main reason why I love cooking and baking, because there`s always something new to discover even when you don`t expect it.

Enough rambling, read you soon,
xoxo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your opinions and thoughts on my posts!
So feel free to comment and write whatever goes through your mind.

xoxo