Are you all in bringing some sunshine and vacation feelings to your table with this light pasta dish? I know, yesterday I talked to you about cooking by season and as the first photo already shows this pasta ain`t containing any winter veggies. Contradictory me, I guess... But the fact is, that it hasn`t stopped raining for days here and the temperatures are quickly dropping below zero degrees and I just unconditionally needed to bring a little bit of sunshine into my kitchen by using colorful Mediterranean veggies as ingredients.
This meal is really no biggy, absolutely everyone can do this in a short amount of time. It`s pasta, what can go wrong right? But there is one thing that needs to be pointed out, it is made of ratatouille ingredients, which makes this pasta a perfect left over dish. You made a ratatouille or a vegetable stew the day before and don`t now what to use it for? Just heat it up, cook some pasta and mix together. Quick, easy and way more better than throwing away your left overs. This time I went for a variation without any tomato sauce,white wine or broth, but feel free to prepare this the classic way.
What you need for 1 serving:
- 120g pasta, I didn`t use whole wheat, but feel free to do so if you prefer it more healthier
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 black olives
- a pinch of freshly grounded black pepper
- dried oregano
- rinse off eggplant, red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes and zucchini
- let dry on a kitchen paper
- peel onion and garlic cloves, chop the onion and cut the garlic into thin slices, you can also press the cloves, which will result in a stronger garlic taste
- halve eggplant, slice and cut the single slices into pieces
- halve red bell pepper, remove the seeds and white parts, slice and cut the slices into pieces
- halve zucchini, slice and cut slices into pieces
- quarter the tomatoes
- fill a pan with water, bring to a boil, add salt and paste, cook until al dente, the cooking time hardly depends on the pasta you are using, you can find the needed information on the package of the pasta
- whilst you are heating the water for your paste you can start preparing the ratatouille
- heat olive oil in a pan, add onion and garlic, cook for a few minutes until translucent
- add all the veggies and cook until done, approximately 5 to 7 minutes
- pour off the pasta water, immediately serve in a plate, drizzle over the ratatouille
- season with freshly ground pepper and more salt if you like
- decorate your pasta with black olives and sprinkle over dried oregano
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Wow, this gets done quite quick right? Now you imagine you have a already prepared ratatouille. In this case you only have to cook the pasta and reheat, which will be done within 10 minutes. Isn`t this amazing? I love simple, quick dishes, although I`m conscious of the fact, that this isn`t the most special recipe and that probably everybody can come up with something like this pasta. But Velvet and Vinegar is more like a cooking diary, where I share things I actually cook so that I can eat the stuff I just made. And that`s why I love to share simple recipes, because let`s be honest, we all have life's, friends and a job and mostly don`t have the time to stand in the kitchen all day long.
Actually now I`m getting curious, how much time do you spend in kitchen daily?
Read you soon,