search abirdsdailylife

Friday, January 29, 2016

Calzone Hawaii


calzone Hawaii

Lately I`m into making my own pizza dough, because pizza and any variations of it - like calzone, which I share with you today - are a big obsession of mine. Any pizza obsessed folks out here? Yes? Then tell me about your habits. Do you make your own dough? If so, do you knead it by hand or with a blender? Or are just like the old me, using bought pizza dough 99%? If later is the case, don`t be afraid to start making your own dough. This may sound weird, but I just said don`t be afraid, because the same thing happened to me. All the time I was afraid to make my own dough, because I believe it`s one of the most difficult baking skills to do perfect without messing it up. Actually still do, but it`s all about experimenting, working out what works for you and getting better. So don`t be afraid and start trying!

So first time making pizza dough, I used a recipe from Betty Bossi, which actually worked pretty well. I believe it will do the same for you, just give it a try, make a yummy pizza or a calzone, like I did.
For those of you who don`t know what a calzone is, it`s a folded pizza, that`s kind of it. For my first try I decided on a classic pizza variation - pizza Hawaii - transformed into a calzone. This means pineapple time! Yey, pineapple is so good on pizza or calzone! Of course you can do any other combo you like...You might even want to share them with me? Maybe? If you`re vegan just leave out the ham and the cheese, still a taste adventure.

making your own pizza or calzone dough

fresh ingredients for calzone Hawaii

What you need (for one calzone):

dough:
  • 250g white flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 25g yeast
  • 150ml water, tepid
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
calzone:
  • 5 tablespoons tomato sauce, I made my own with ripe tomatoes, fresh parsley, salt, freshly grounded black pepper and dried oregano
  • 2 brown champignons, sliced
  • 100g precooked ham
  • 1 handful pineapple, cut into pieces
  • 75g mozzarella
  • 75g parmesan cheese, grated
  • salt
  • black pepper, freshly ground
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
filling a calzone

Instructions:

dough:
  • mix yeast with a little bit of the water until completely dissolved
  • mix flour and salt in a bowl
  • mix olive oil with the rest of the water
  • add water and yeast to the flour, mix everything
  • transfer dough onto a flat surface and knead well, the dough should be really smooth and shouldn`t be sticky
  • put in a bowl, cover the bowl with a kitchen towel
  • let rest in a warm place until doubled in size, approximately 1 hour
  • flour your flat surface and roll out the dough, mine was about 1cm thick, but you can roll yours out even thinner
  • place half of the dough onto a baking tray
calzone:
  • preheat the oven at 200° Celsius
  • spread tomato sauce on the half laying on the tray
  • rinse off and thinly slice brown champignons, lay out on the calzone
  • cut ham into pieces, put on the calzone
  • peel and cut a fresh pineapple into pieces and sprinkle one handful over the calzone
  • tear mozzarella into thin stripes, sprinkle over calzone
  • grate parmesan cheese and sprinkle over calzone as well
  • season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • top of with a teaspoon of oregano
  • now fold the calzone by turning over the other half overlapping your baking tray
  • roll up where the dough comes together to tighten the ends, whilst slightly pressing down the dough
  • bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until your dough gets firm and crunchy
Preparation time: 1 1/2 hours
baking time: 30 minutes 
calzone with pineapple, ham, cheese and mushrooms

Although a well known classic, this combo always works, one big taste adventure and that`s why you should totally make this calzone. The mixture of cheese and pineapple is one way to go if you ask me and the mushrooms and ham just take it to the next level. One cheesy, fruity and salty experience, which I`m definitely going to make again. What ingredients would you use?

Read you soon,
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your opinions and thoughts on my posts!
So feel free to comment and write whatever goes through your mind.

xoxo