search abirdsdailylife

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Gougères or French Cheese Puffs

gougeres or French cheese puffs

French pastries are one heavenly treat, croissants, macarons, petit fours, everything just tastes absolutely mouth-watering. Same goes for gougères, whom I thought would be worth a try. Gougères are pretty much cheese puffs made off choux pastry, which is used for other French baked goods like beignets or éclairs. If done the most common way gruyère, emmentaler or comté are the number one choices of cheese, but of course you`re free to mix any cheese you like into the batter. 

For my first attempt I decided to go for the traditional way making gougères with gruyère. To spice it up, I added a few branches of rosemary and thyme, which resulted to be a delicious supplement, extremely enriching the aroma. Besides that, I just can`t get enough of cheese, I looooveeee cheese in almost every single variation. Cheese is awesome, duh!

ingredients for gougeres or cheese puffs

What you need (for about 2 baking sheets):
  • 250ml milk or water, I used milk
  • 100g unsalted butter
  • 200g flour
  • 4 eggs
  • a pinch of salt
  • 130g grated gruyère
  • 6 branches of thyme
  • 3 branches of rosemary
  • 1 piping bag
preparation gougeres or cheese puffs

Preparation:
  • preheat the oven at 180° degrees
  • heat butter, salt and milk in a pan until boiling, don`t burn the milk
  • take the pan off the heat, instantly add flour
  • mix with a cooking spoon until the dough is smooth, there should be a fine white coat on the bottom of the pan, be aware to not burn it
  •  let dough cool down a few minutes, then add eggs and mix well
  • mix in grated gruyère/cheese
  • rinse off and drain rosemary and thyme branches, take off the leaves/needles and add to choux dough
  • lay out the baking sheet with baking paper, fill dough batter into piping bag
  • pipe onto sheet, forming circles in the size of meat balls
  • bake for about 20 minutes
  • sprinkle some rosemary and thyme over your cheese puffs

homemade gougeres or French cheese puffs

This was my first time making gougères, so to be honest, they didn`t turn out absolutely the way I expected them to, they just could have been a little bit more fluffier, but apart of that imperfection, they were soooo good. Next time I`m probably going to use water instead of milk to find out if it makes a big difference for the texture of the dough.

What about you guys, do you like French pastry? Which is your favourite? 
And please make sure to follow my blog on bloglovin, twitter, facebook, etcetera.I would really appreciate it :)  

(you can find all the direct links to my social media accounts via the buttons on top of this page)

Read you soon,
xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your opinions and thoughts on my posts!
So feel free to comment and write whatever goes through your mind.

xoxo