Just because it`s getting colder outside, doesn`t mean fresh salads shouldn`be on your table during these seasons. There are plenty of reasons to incorporate them in your daily menu plan. For example now is the perfect timing for adding fall fruits, like apples, pears, or nuts to your salads. Not to mention the huge variety of dainty seasonal vegetables you can choose from, such as black salsify, squash or nut lettuce. I decided to incorporate the last one.
Almost all main ingredients for this salad are seasonal, that`s also the reason why it`s called an Autumn harvest salad. I went for a mix of nut lettuce, apples, mushrooms, walnuts and roasted pumpkin seeds as my fall ingredients.
Does this sound boring to you? Well then wait for it....
How about adding bananas to your salad? Enough craziness? OK, I admit banana in a salad, sounds kind of strange, well at least to me. I stumbled upon this idea in one of my cooking books and I couldn`t get it out of my mind, just had to do it.
And that`s the result, one delicious fruity and rustic fall inspired salad.
What you need (for 2 servings & one jar of salad sauce):
- 1 apple, use a sweet variety like gala
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 handful chopped walnuts
- 4 handful nut lettuce
- 180g plain yogurt
- juice of 1/2 lemon or 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- a pinch of salt & pepper
- chopped chive
- roast pumpkin seeds for 2 minutes in a pan, let cool down
- rinse off and thinly slice mushrooms
- saute in a pan for 3 minutes, then let cool down
- add plain yogurt, lemon juice/cider vinegar, salt and pepper to a bowl
- mix well, pour into a jar and refrigerate, you can store the dressing in your fridge for a few days, like that you can use it for other salads
- rinse off nut lettuce, make sure there`s any dirt left
- dry salad with a salad spinner and add to serving plate with mushrooms
- chop walnuts, add them to salad, as well as the roasted pumpkin seeds
- peel and slice banana
- rinse off the apple, halve and core it, cut into little pieces
- add fruits to the salad
- finely chop the chive
- drizzle on the cooled salad dressing and sprinkle over your chopped chive
That`s about it, it`s pretty easy as you can see. Just make sure to keep in mind one thing, always cut the apples at the end of your preparing process, you don`t want them to oxidate and turn brown. Thus for the same reason always cover you apples with lemon juice if you`re preparing this salad in advance.
Read you soon,