I went kind of overboard with different flavours for this blog post, but if you make filled donuts you have to take advantage of that and prepare a huge batch, because believe me, those little fellows quiet require some work and even more patience.
That´s why I decided to not only make classic jelly filled donuts, but also a few ones filled with nutella and salted caramel. I used homemade salted caramel sauce, you can find the recipe here.
Although baking these delicious treats will take probably a whole afternoon, they are so worth the effort. I absolutely loved how sweet and fluffy they turned out. Next time I`ll make a batch of these, I`ll probably try to make the dough even more fluffier, so the donuts will rise more.
This video instruction helped me a lot, through the process of creating these yummy treats.
What you need:
- 100ml milk
- 22g yeast
- 300g flour
- 40g white sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 40g butter
- 13g vanilla sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 - 1.5l sunflower oil
- 1 jar nutella, salted caramel, apricot jam and blackberry jam
- 4 piping bags
- white sugar & icing sugar for decorating
- crumble the yeast in a bowl, add 2 to 3 tablespoons milk and a pinch of white sugar, stir until the yeast dissolves into the milk and sugar
- sieve flour in a bowl, make a well in the middle of the dough, pour your dissolved yeast into the well, slowly mix it a little bit into the flour, not all of it, cover your dough and let rest in a warm place for 15 minutes
- mix eggs, egg yolks & sugar together in a bowl until fluffy, add milk, lemon zest & vanilla sugar, mix again until fluffy
- melt the butter using a water bath
- pour the egg mixture over the dough, mix quickly, then add salt & melted butter, knead your dough for about 10 to 15 minutes (use a hand mixer if you have one) , this will work air in your dough and make it fluffy, cover the dough and let rest for 30 minutes in a warm place
- pour flour on a flat surface, put your dough on the surface and knead for about 5 minutes, cover the dough and let rest for 1 hour
- pour flour on a flat surface & on a backing sheet, roll out your dough on the surface, it should have a thickness of 2 to 3cm, cut out circles of 7 to 10cm diameter, put the circles on the backing sheet, cover and let rest for another 40 minutes in a warm place
- fill 2/3 of a pan with sunflower oil, heat until the oil builds little bubbles around a wooden spoon, add 3 to 4 donuts to the pan, put the lid on the pan and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, flip over your donuts, fry for another 2 to 3 minutes without the lid, let cool down on kitchen paper
- repeat the last step for all of your donuts
- fill the piping bags with your donut fillings, in this case nutella, salted caramel, apricot and blackberry jam
- make a little whole in your donuts with the piping bag, then fill the donuts
- just for decoration, sieve some white sugar or icing sugar over your donuts
Everybody will absolutely love these, so don`t forget to share them with friends, neighbours and family. Also they are a perfect little present for diner parties and there are so many different fillings for your donuts. Although I think my favourite one will always be the jelly filled one. Which fillings do you like the most?
Read you soon,