Toast bread always is a good choice to go for your breakfast, it`s so versatile and can be used as a garnish in many different ways. Of course it also works very well as an ingredient for your main dishes, like French toast.
You could call French toast the fancier sister of toasted bread. Due to it`s coating, it`s way more moist and savory and the possibilities to flavour your French toast are endless. That`s why I will never get tired of eating this breakfast.
What`s there to love even more than French toast? Exactly cheese! If you ask me cheese almost goes perfectly with everything and I could eat this every day. Ok, I think you get it, I`m a cheese maniac. For the matter of that fact, I wanted to make some cheese French toast. The ham just adds the saltiness and a lot of juicy flavour, which gives the dish just about the hefty, rustic touch it needs.
What you need (for 2 French toasts):
- 4 slices of toast bread (white bread)
- 16 little slices of cheese
- 4 slices of ham
- 100ml milk
- 2 eggs
- salt & pepper
- 50g butter
- 1/2 zucchini
- cut off 4 equally shaped slices of toast bread or use pre-sliced toast
- smear mustard on one side of two slices
- smear mayonnaise on one side of the other two slices
- place your cheese slices on every slice of toast (the sides with the mayonnaise and mustard on) till completely covered with cheese, I used little slices, that`s why I used more cheese, you`ll probably need less
- place slices of ham on two of the toast slices till completely covering the cheese, lay the coated toast slices on top of each other (not coated sides should be outside)
- whisk together the eggs and the milk in a flat bowl or soup plate, add a little bit of salt and pepper
- let your French toast rest in the egg and milk mixture for 10 minutes each side
- heat half of the butter in a frying pan until melted, the butter shouldn`t smoke
- add one French toast to the pan and fry until golden brown on every side, remove and let drain on a kitchen paper
- add the rest of the butter to the frying pan and repeat the last two steps for the second French toast
- chop zucchini into little squares and sprinkle over your toast just for decoration
That`s kind of it already and you have a classic and easy, but yet deliciously savory breakfast. And your kids will love this too, believe me.
Well that was one variation of French toast I really love, now I want to know about your favourite French toast recipes?
Read you soon,