search abirdsdailylife

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Lemon Cake with Lemon Icing

juicy lemon cake with lemon icing

Lemons are wonderful, they work with practically everything, they serve as great eye candy to decorate your food and drinks, but mainly they just make your dishes taste heavenly, in almost every case. They are also the most refreshing thing in the world during hot summer days. So I totally recommend you to always have a few lemons stored, pretty sure there will be a moment you`ll be glad to have them. During summer, I also love to put lemon juice in my water, it`s so addictive. 
But let`s talk about cake now, another addiction of mine...A few days ago I badly wanted cake, I mean I needed it rapido. In this case I normally bake a simple chocolate cake, but it`s like 40° C degrees in my apartment, so the chocolate is already melting by itself. I was on the look out for something less heavy and more refreshing, but still quick to do, so I thought why not mix two of my addictions and make a lemon cake.

This cake really was a perfect fusion of sour and sweet and it was so juicy. Oh, boy, how I do love my cakes juicy, that`s why I always bake them less long than the recipes recommend. Due to the high amount of butter, it`s flavor really came through, that`s why I probably will reduce the amount of butter and add more milk the next time. Don`t get me wrong it wasn`t bad at all, I guess it even would be perfect for a vanilla or chocolate cake, but I prefer my lemon cake with a less buttery taste. 

To prevent me eating the whole cake, because damn right I would do that, I brought the rest of it to my work and I was so glad everyone liked it.

refreshing lemon cake

What you need:
makes a little-medium cake,something in between :D

  • 250g butter, probably next time I go for only 150 or 200g for a less buttery taste
  • 150g sugar, I used white sugar for this one, normally I use brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, if you work with less butter add 3 eggs or more milk
  • 200g flour
  • 2 lemons, use organic ones, because you`re gonna need the lemon peel
  • a pinch of baking powder
  • a pinch of salt 
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • ca. 100ml milk, you have to add milk depending on the texture of your dough, if you use less butter than I did, you can compensate it with more milk
  •  ca. 100g confectioner`s sugar, again the amount of sugar depends on how white and how covering you want your icing to be, well I wanted to eat this cake right away when it came out of the oven, so I didn`t had the patience to make more icing and make it thicker.
refreshing lemon cake with lemon icing

Preparation:
  • preheat the oven at 180°C degrees
  • slice butter into peaces, if right out of the fridge make it a little bit softer using a water bath
  • slowly add eggs and sugar to the butter, while stirring the whole time, I sifted the sugar before adding it
  • sift flour into your mixture, while still stirring the whole time, add salt & baking powder, stir well
  • wash lemons, grate the lemons, but make sure to not grate them until the white part of the peel shows, to avoid bitter components in the flavor
  • now juice the lemons, add half of the lemon juice, lemon zests & honey to the mixture stir well
  • if you did everything like me, your dough will be quiet compact, so you need to add milk until it gets smoother, it should have the texture of honey and pour steadily from your spatula
  • Line cake-pan with parchment paper and pour your mixture in
  • bake for 45-50 minutes at middle height of your oven
  •  let the cake cool down completely
  • in the meantime, add confectioner`s sugar and a few tablespoons lemon juice, mix well, the more covering and white you want your icing the more sugar you need to add, I also recommend to use very little of lemon juice, if you really want a white icing you can use milk instead of the lemon juice, but believe me it will affect the taste off the cake and not in a good way
  • coat the top of your cake with the icing
  • Enjoy this yummy treat!

Before I`m off to bake a crumble, I wanted to apologize for the crappy icing, but as I already said, I couldn`t wait to take a deep bite into this, so I didn`t devour the icing the time it might would have needed. 
Hope you try this little recipe and read you soon my cuisine friends.

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Lemon loaf cake is one of my favorite desserts, I love how dense your looks, and that you didn't stop, but also added that delicious lemon glaze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your comment made me smile :)
      Oh and believe me it was really hard to resist...but it was worth it, because with the glaze it was even better.

      Delete

I would love to read your opinions and thoughts on my posts!
So feel free to comment and write whatever goes through your mind.

xoxo