search abirdsdailylife

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Cheesy Wiener Winks

cheese wiener winks

My mouth is watering only writing this post title.Kilted sausages are one of my favorite dishes and it comes along with a lot of childhood memories.I remember watching my mom making these,when I was a little girl,stealing marinated dough.I love eating sausages in pastry since the first day I tried them.I have a thing for stuffed pastry in general.And still today I wish for wiener winks,I go for lunch at my parents house.This time I added some cheese to my kilted sausages.

What you need for 4 cheese wiener winks:
  • 4 frankfurter sausages
  • 9 ounces puff pastry
  • 4 slices sandwich cheese,I used 2 slices sandwich cheese and four slices mozzarella
  • mustard
  • salt
  • pepper
  • other seasonings you like
  • 1-2 eggs
preparing the pastry for the kilted sausages

1.Step:
Bring a pan full of water to a simmer.Add the 4 sausages as soon as the water boils and cook for about 5 minutes (cover the pan).Strain off the water and let cool down the sausages.

marinated dough for wiener winks

2.Step:
In the meantime roll out the puff pastry until it's about 5mm thick.Cut the dough into longitudinal 4 to 6 inches width stripes.Lay out the stripes on baking parchment and cover the dough with a mustard layer on one side.Then add the salt,pepper and all the other seasonings you want to.If you have a pastry brush,I recommend to use it to brush on the mustard,as it is a lot less messier.

wrapping the sausages with cheese

3.Step:
Start heating the oven at 493°F.As soon your sausages cooled down,start wrapping every frankfurter with a slice of cheese and one stripe of puff pastry.Make sure the marinated side of the dough is on the inside,while wrapping.Also make sure all the sausages are completely covered with the dough.If necessary use another puff pastry stripe to stuff wholes.

how to wrap sausages for wiener winks

Put the kilted sausages on a baking paper covered griddle,cover with a thin layer of whisked egg and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.Check your wieners constantly after 20 minutes baking time,as it may take less time for your oven to bake these yummy treats.

Serve and eat them right away as they taste the best,when still warm.But of course you can also take them to work the next day and eat them cold,they're also delicious cold.In one word,just enjoy them,no matter how.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your opinions and thoughts on my posts!
So feel free to comment and write whatever goes through your mind.

xoxo