search abirdsdailylife

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Leek Pie

Delicious vegetarian recipe with leek

Leek is one of my favorite ingredients to cook with at the moment.I`ve always liked it,but right now I am really going through an obsessive phase.
Additionally I`m a huge fan of all things made in the oven,especially if it includes dough.So a leek pie just sounded like heaven to me,the reason why I decided to make one myself. 

What you need (for 1 round baking sheet):
  • 8.5 ounces puff pastry (I used an already rolled out one,lazy me...)
  • 2 leek rods
  • 1 eggs
  • 7 ounces sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 4.5 ounces grated cheese (I used emmentaler)
  • salt and pepper
  • eventually 1-2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
1.Step:
Roll out your puff pastry,if you don`t have an already rolled out dough.Make it as thick as you like it to be,but just remember,the thicker it is the more time it needs to bake.Afterwards put it on your baking sheet and pinch the dough a few times with a fork.Then put  it in the oven for about 10 minutes or even more at 390 F,if you have it rolled out thicker.While the puff pastry bakes you can prepare the other ingredients (Step 2).
Don`t forget to take the dough out of the oven,before it`s done completely!

2.Step:
Rinse off the leek.Remove one third of the green leek leaves and then cut the rest of the leek into small rings.One leek ring consist of various rings,so you need to separate them all.After that halve or quarter all the rings to a size you like.
Heat a pan with 2 tablespoons oil and add the leek rings as soon as the oil is hot.Steam for about 3 to five minutes at high temperature.Then add the missing ingredients to the leek.Don`t use all the cheese,put a bit,like 1/2 ounce,aside for later.Cook everything at a low temperature for almost 10 minutes.
If your pie filling still is too liquid after cooking,add 1 to 2 tablespoon flour,this will help to thicken it.It is quiet important,that the stuffing isn`t too fluid,so that it won`t soak the dough.

3.Step:
Pour your filling on the puff pastry and add the remaining grained cheese to slightly coat your filling.
Put in the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes at 390 F.After 20 minutes baking time start checking your pie regularly to see if it`s done.It should be slightly brown on the top,but sufficiently baked at the bottom.

If you like you can also add chopped onions and diced bacon to this pie.I decided to go clean,by only using leek.
What about you?Do you have some yummy leek recipes for me?Do you even like it?
In case you do,also check out my cream leek soup.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. This is perfect for summer picnic, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your opinions and thoughts on my posts!
So feel free to comment and write whatever goes through your mind.

xoxo